The College Archives
The College Archives are open to visitors by appointment on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
The Archives contain the administrative records of Worcester College and its former estates, as well as personal papers of a few former members. The College’s collections of early printed books, pamphlets, prints, drawings and manuscripts including the Clarke papers are held in the Library; enquiries about these should be directed to the Librarian, as should enquiries about the Daniel Press.
The collections in the College Archives can be divided into four groups:
- Records relating to the administration of the College, including the statutes, minute books and accounts.
- Records relating to the administration of the former College estates in Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire (the majority of these estates were sold by the College in 1919).
- Records of the admission of undergraduates, and records of student clubs and societies from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
- Personal papers of a small number of former Provosts, Fellows and undergraduates, including the papers of William Henry Hadow (1859-1937) and John Cecil Masterman (1891-1977).
There are no records relating to Gloucester College in the Archives. A very small number of documents relating to Gloucester Hall have survived in the papers of Byrom Eaton (Principal 1662-1692) and Richard Blechinden (Principal 1712-1714).
A monthly blog on items from the Archives and Library, 'Treasures of Worcester College', can be found at https://worcestercollegelibrary.wordpress.com/.
For further information about the Archives, or to arrange an appointment, please contact the Archivist. The College Archives are only open two days a week so an appointment to visit is essential.